Here is my once a month post, or at least that seems to be the rate I'm going at. It's a Saturday afternoon and storming. Ainsley is asleep (for who knows how long), the hubby doesn't feel well and is snoozing, and I am trying to work on a new post before they wake up. I think you see the pattern and how my priorities seem to be a little out of whack. Blog, then nap, then clean in that order (mind you I will only have time to do 1 of the 3 and here we are.) Oh how I would love a nap, but I finally have a chance to sit in peace and tell y'all about our Labor Day Weekend trip to West Texas!
(Commercial Break brought to you by a crying baby who has been asleep for approximately 5 minutes now.....)
Okay, and we are back. Last Thursday (9/2) we took an airplane ride with a 4 month old and headed to Midland, TX. We were so excited about this trip (with the exception of the nervousness and, well, nervousness that I had about flying for the first time with a baby). But overall I'd say it went rather well. We went to visit Brantley's mom's side of the family. His Granddad, Nanny (Sue), Uncle Brian, Aunt Terri, Amanda, Jason, and Acee (cousins) all live in Midland. They had yet to see Ainsley and were ready to get their hands on her! The trip going went pretty well. Nothing too dramatic. Ainsley fortunately slept most of the time even with a quick 35 minute lay over in Houston. The difficult part came when we got to Midland and Nanny and Granddad saw her for the first time....SCREAMING her head off! This pretty much continued for the rest of the evening until she went to bed. I was so concerned because not even I could get her to calm down, which has never happened before. We finally decided it was either her tummy, her ears were bothering her from the flight, she was exhausted, or even all of the above. I felt so bad for her, yet had no idea what to do. So the whole family just dealt with it and passed her around anyways! We kept telling everyone that we promised she was never like that and hoped that they believed us.
(Commercial break brought to you by a crying baby....again.)
I was really anxious about how Ainsley would do sleeping at night in a pack-n-play in our room. And luckily she still slept her usual 9 to 10 hours. On Friday we went with Nanny/G-dad to a restaurant called "The Barn Door". This is where Brantley's mom and dad went on their first date, which would have been in high school. So special. I couldn't get over one of the appetizers you can order. They have these HUGE blocks of Wisconsin cheese they will bring to your table with some very delicious home made bread. You just scrape some cheese from the block and put it on your bread. I know...sounds kinda gross given they have a few blocks of cheese that pretty much go from table to table. I was a little apprehensive about this and just told myself that surely they scrape off the outside layer before taking it to the next table. So I got over it and dug right in. And boy was I glad I did because it was so good. I could have just eaten that for my meal! Later that night the family got together for dinner, catching up, and some much needed baby lovin'.
I was really looking forward to Saturday. We had a fish-fry over at Brantley's Aunt and Uncle's house. It was better than I could have imagined. Fried catfish, fried shrimp, coconut shrimp, boiled shrimp, grilled corn, fried potatoes and okra, hush-puppies, and cantaloupe. They sure knew what they were doing when they made it because I could not stop eating that wonderful, delicious, totally not-good-for you food (especially the coconut shrimp) until I was stuffed and I didn't eat anything else the rest of the day.
(Commercial break brought to you by a baby that refuses to take a nap and let Mommy get anything done...again. Okay false alarm. I have the monitor on and there was some crying, but it has ceased. Whew! Close call.)
We spent all of Saturday at Bryan and Terri's eating, talking, baby watching, eating, talking, baby watching, football watching, baby watching, eating, baby watching...you get the idea. It was a wonderful day and I wish we could do it more often!
Sunday was a chill day. We all got together and grilled out burgers for lunch then simply did nothing, which was relaxing. And the big event of the day was Ainsley took her first 2 and 1/2 hour nap! (I know you don't believe it after all of my commercial breaks, but it's true!) Of course, if I had known she was going to keep sleeping I would have slept too, but thanks to Brantley for watching her after she woke up so I could catch a short, much needed, rare nap.
Monday was our going home day. We ate a quick lunch and headed to the airport. I wasn't as worried this go around about flying with Ainsley. The hard part was saying our good-byes. We don't get to see this side of the family very often given they are a 16 hour drive away, but what time we do have is always so wonderful. Thank you for everything Ford/French family! We love and miss you so much and can't wait to see you again!
(Quick side-note: The flight back didn't go as well. We got stuck in Dallas for a few hours due to bad weather in Houston, with a baby that would not let us put her in her stroller, who had to be held and bounced and walked around, along with 2 disgusting explosive diapers, and a screaming episode 20 minutes before landing in Nashville along with screaming the ENTIRE way from baggage claim until we got home (Ainsley not Brantley that is, although he probably wanted to join her after a while). All of that to say I would not be sad if we do not fly anywhere again for a long time.)
At our gate in Nashville sound asleep and ready to board!
So far so good
Granddad and Ainsley
Nanny and Ainsley
Amanda had the special touch that night
Where B's mom and dad went on their first date (Odessa, TX)
Block of cheese. Hilarious. And this one must have been around to a few other tables prior to us because it was smaller than the other ones we saw.
Just talking away "telling me all about it"!
Aunt Terri and Ainsley
The Feast
2 words: mouth. watering.
Watching football with g-dad
Can we say spoiled baby?
"Telling Nanny all about it..."
Silly girl
This is what happens when you get stuck with a baby in an airport for a few unexpected hours...
A little of this
and a little of that.

P.S. For those of you wondering, Ainsley has now been sleeping for 1 hour 15 minutes (Whoo-hoo!). So now that I'm finished with my post, maybe I can get something else accomplished. Hmmm...clean the kitchen or take a nap???



No comments:
Post a Comment