Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mommy Helpline

For all of you Mommy's and Mommy's to Be out there your opinions are needed. I am pretty much done with registering, but there are some items I am unsure of what exactly to get. So if you have a second, I would appreciate you leaving a comment and sharing your recommendations on the things listed below. This would really help me out a lot with making decisions on the items we are still needing to either buy or register for. If there is one thing that has stressed me out the last several weeks it is choosing the right things for Ainsley. So relieve me of this stress, please!

1. Changing table pad- What brand is yours and where did you get it from?
2. Humidifier- Do you have one? Would you recommend getting one?
3. Bottles- What works (or worked) best for your baby?
4. Breast Pump- Okay I know NOTHING about this. They are kinda intimidating...Haha.
What kind did you get? What brand is it? Where did you get it? Do you like/not like it?
5. Crib mattress- This one is probably the most important to me.
What brand is it? Where did you get it? Would you recommend it?
6. Baby monitor- This one is the one I've gone back and forth with the most. I have always
thought I want one that has a video monitor. But they are pretty expensive.
What do you have? Do you like it or wish you had gone with a different one? Is it worth
getting one with video?
7. Pediatrician- We have it narrowed down to 2, both at the same practice. (Thanks Jenny
and Natalie!) But I have no idea what questions to ask when we go interview them pre-baby
to make our decision.
What questions did you ask when you went?
Are there any questions you did not think of to ask at the time, but wish you had?

Okay, I think this about sums it up. Answer any of the questions you can or have opinions about. I am already looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say. Thanks!

*Don't miss my post below. It's new too! *

2 comments:

  1. Warning... you may go blind from reading a reply this long. Haha. I was going to just email you my answer, but then I thought there might be other moms-to-be that have the same questions who might like to read my opinions. Feel free to listen to or ignore anything I say! Love ya!

    1. Changing table pad- I honestly don't know what brand mine is, but I personally don't think that this would really matter too much. Just go with one that is a standard size. I think I picked out the cheapest one, and it has worked great. Also, I don't know about other moms, but I have never once used the straps on mine so I don't think that those matter either.

    2. Humidifier- Murray and I didn't get one at first, but our pediatrician really recommended one because Cole kept getting really congested. We got a Crane cool mist humidifier, and he truly has been better. Look online because there are a lot of cute character/animal ones (Cole has the frog). =)

    3. Bottles- As a pro-breastfeeding, former NICU nurse... the bottle doesn't matter- the nipple does. Get slow-flow nipples! They have a flow that is more similar to breastfeeding and will help Ainsley transition back and forth. (Try to only breastfeed for about 3-4 wks if possible though to make sure she really has that down before introducing the bottle. It won't make her not take the bottle, but will keep her wanting to breastfeed and not just bottle feed.)

    4. Breast Pump- This is the one thing I really splurged on, and I definitely think it's worth it. I got a Medela Pump in Style. It is expensive but really nice, and I LOVE IT! Especially if you are going to be pumping a lot for when you go back to work, you should definitely spend the money. It has the best reviews, and I really feel like it will last you through however many kids you want to have. I got mine at Babies-R-Us. Watch for sales, and, if I get any more coupons, I'll send you them because I was able to get mine 20% off of a sale price. If you don't want to spend this much, go for another pump that in an electric double pump. There are others that are cheaper out there. I would just recommend really reading the online reviews that people write to make sure it's a good one.

    5. Crib mattress- If this is the most important thing to you, I'm probably not the one to answer. Haha. I can look later (Cole is napping) to see the brand, but again, I am pretty sure we went with one of the cheaper brands, and it was from Walmart. I did look at reviews of it though, and everyone had positive things to say about it. We haven't had any trouble with it, and Cole "usually" sleeps great. ;)

    6. Baby monitor- We have the Sony 900 MHz BabyCall monitor. It works really well in our house and my mom's house too. Most of the regular monitors that I looked at that were cheaper than this one had really poor reviews (like lots of static or bad reception, etc). Sometimes I do wish that I had a video monitor though because it would be nice to see him when he is fussing and stuff... especially now that he is starting to pull up. I don't want him stuck hanging onto the rail and me not know it! I'd say for now register for the video one, and, if you get it, great... if not, make a decision then if you want to spend your money or gift cards on it or not.

    7. Pediatrician- Haha... we didn't do a pre-interview, but I did check online about a few things. One thing I wanted to know was whether they had a sick AND well baby waiting room. I also liked that they require everyone they treat to have all their immunizations. They are connected with the Children's hospital here in Louisville, and they have a walk-in hour each morning. The last thing is invaluable! Other than that I would just think about any specific medical issues that you want to make sure they are really familiar with and feel capable of handling.

    Hope all of this helps!!! Let me know if you have questions about anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to check the crib mattress, but good news... guess what came in the mail today? A 20% off coupon to Babies R Us. I'll get it in the mail to you asap. =)

    ReplyDelete